Observation

The past few weeks I've tried to be a little more observant of my children. It has amazed me how much I've learned about them and myself. I have continued to use the wonderful point system for chores and discipline. It's been over a month and they still respond very well. Some of the bonuses it's finally got the boys on a routine and it's helped with their math skills. Can't beat that! And it really tells me a lot about their personalities.

I'm sure we've all said to ourselves at some point in time, "Where did they learn that?" when they say or do something crazy. I've said it over a hundred times I know! Though the last few weeks I've tried to really think about "where did that come from?" Here are just a few observations I've made:

LIAM:

  • Sometimes our family likes to turn out all the lights, turn on the fireplace, sit around and tell stories. The boys come up with off-the-wall ideas usually about bodily functions. But last night at family home evening it was a little different. We had learned about fire safety and practiced our fire escape plan if the house was to catch fire. Well, when it came time to tell stories every story Liam told had to do with a the seahorse losing his family and was scared, the shark losing his family and was scared, the dinosaur losing his family and was scared....seeing the pattern? Liam is very insecure in this area and completely stresses out if he ever thinks we're leaving. It's almost heart breaking.
  • I've also noticed for him that he is devastated and his feelings are easily hurt if we ever get on to him. Even just the raise of the voice and he will shut down and use every will of his body not to cry. The source--me. I never realized it until Jarom was upset with me the other night I did the the exact same thing.
  • When it comes to chores/points he tries to accumulate as many as possible in one day to have the most points always. (source--Jarom) He will do anything for points. The down fall, it takes him all day to do it! He is very slow in everything he does but usually done very well. It use to take him 45 minutes to unload the dishwasher (that's with some help). He is now down to 18 minutes. (source--that would be me)
  • He's very particular and cares if things match. (that would be me again)

TIPTON:
  • We never know what he will say. He is very serious in most conversations whether they make any sense or not.
  • He does not like to be called names other than Tipton. He gets very upset.
  • His imagination is far beyond another world but he is great to entertain himself. (source--both of us)
  • He is very loving and doesn't mind sharing. On Christmas all he talked about was how cool the toys were and that they could share all of them. But do not put toys in your mouth!
  • He is beyond stubborn and we have yet to find the right discipline that works. You could beat this child blue and if he's made his mind up with something there is NO budging. (source--maybe my brother) He broke a power ranger the other day and I said we would just have to throw him away and I would take the other power rangers and give them to a boy that will take care of them. He thought that was a good idea. So much for that. The reverse psychology thing happens all the time.
  • As for chores/points he does just what he needs to do as quick as possible. (Jarom) If it means all he can do is play, no TV or computer, then that's all he'll do. He won't break the rule either. I once told him, "If you like you can play computer games." Tipton said, "No, I don't have enough points."
  • At night for bed, if he's taken a nap he usually isn't ready to go to bed. But he will go and just lie there in his bed wide awake. It amazes Jarom and me.

These are just few of my observations. I know most don't care but this kind of like my family journal and thought these are definitely some interesting characteristics that my children have developed that are worthy of making note. It's fascinating really! I've seen things that my kids do and realized that's what I'm like when I wouldn't have normally admitted or noticed. If you have a second take note. You'll learn a lot.

Comments

Unknown said…
I think it is great that you took the time to observe and write all of that down. It is crazy what I can't remember about my kids already.
kristi lee said…
Love it! I'm going to try that tomorrow. They kind of drove me nutz today so I need to step back and remember all the little things I love about them.
Yo Mama said…
I admire that you are so observant. I have thought that I would like to do the same thing with my kids. I tend to let things slip under my radar all of the time. I have never been good at being perceptive, detail oriented, or even thoughtful. It's a real goal of mine. Thanks for the motivation!