Show of Improvement

I was talking with a brilliant mother one Sunday and we were talking about....raising kids. She told me about when she had twins and then 18 months later she had her third child. She stated that she didn't always speak very nicely so she decided to set the timer for every 30 minutes and go pray to help. WOW! Well, this inspired me.
No, I already know myself enough that I would not follow thru with every 30 minutes but I did commit to praying every morning to be more patient and kind to my children. I didn't think that I was mean but sometimes I am a little quick to anger. The results have been very successful. Tipton was clearing his plate from the table and dropped it on the floor making a little mess. Normally, I would be frustrated because he's not paying attention but this time I remained fairly calmed. He looked up at me and said,"Mom your not angry with me?" He seemed shocked. Tears just came to my eyes with a ray of mixed feelings. Sad to think that I was getting angry over something so petty; grateful to see that through my children I can be better; and ever so grateful to my Father in Heaven for hearing my prayers and answering them. I saw by Him that there is always room for improvement and I was making improvement.

Comments

Lindsey Rose said…
Hey friend! I loved when you told me that she did this. It is a great idea to keep the spirit in our homes. You are a wonderful mother and I am impressed with the new dedication and efforts. It is inspiring. Thanks!
Unknown said…
Yeah, I guess I need some more praying too. Thanks for the idea. It is funny how 1- we sometimes don't even recognize our own parenting flaws and 2- we don't think to ask for help with them.

We especially don't think to ask for help from our Father who is all knowing...I mean really, who needs Oprah or Dr. Phil?
Mary Ann said…
More great advice. it is a good reminder to watch my temper. They really are so tender-hearted. (kids)
Thanks for posting this because it's a great idea that anyone can benefit from esp. me right now- still getting used to the demands of two little ones.