Fast Sunday

I've been meaning to make a little note about this past Sunday. It was a good day. Sometime I feel that by the time I have gotten three boys partially ready for church and barely made it on time that I'm not really attending with the best spirit. But this past Sunday was Fast Sunday and my first fast since having Hyrum. What a difference it seemed to be for me that day.
The meeting began and many of the testimonies seemed to be focused on the same subject which happened to be missionary work. I thought this wasn't anything that really applied to me because most of my neighbors work, my circle of friends are church friends, and I stay at home with my children. Not a lot of missionary experiences. Then the Stake President stood and quickly bore his testimony. He said he always tries to find what the Spirit is speaking to him through others testimonies. Then I thought, great, I should be better at missionary work. But then later a peace came over me saying, "I do missionary work everyday." I stay at home and teach my boys the gospel through all kinds of ways--scripture study, prayer, choosing right from wrong. I am sharing the gospel with them everyday and they will share it with others and someday be full-time missionaries themselves. Though I had fasted for nothing particular I felt so blessed to learn such a thing for myself. What a gift to be a mother.

Comments

Mary Mitchell said…
Isn't it great to actually get something out of church? Mary just turned 18 months old - so for the past 6 months, I often wonder what in the heck I'm doing at church. Since I'm missing almost all the meetings wrestling with her and chasing her around. Now that she's in nursery, I'm not going to know what to do with myself now that I can sit through all of the meetings!
Jenn C said…
I had the same thought during our meetings on Sunday! All of our meetings were focused on missionary work, and I was wondering who I knew since I don't have any co-workers. Then I thought, my co-workers are my boys and I'm trying to share the gospel with them! It's fun to get something specific out of church. Congratulations.
-Jenn
Mary Ann said…
Thanks for sharing your feelings about church. I appreciate little testimony builders like that because it reminds me that what I do daily is important. Please email me the recipe for chimichangas! I love to try new stuff!