Liam's First Day!

I can't believe we have a child starting Kindergarten. It's quite exciting actually--especially for Liam. We started out with his favorite cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs. He wore his favorite Spiderman shirt, light-up shoes, and his new shorts. He was ready to go. Daddy dropped him off and Mommy and the boys picked him up. First thing he said, "I wasn't able to make friends yet because that's hard to do on the first day."
Here in our area kindergarten is done a little differently. The students are assigned "staggered days." There's only about 15 students in attendance each day total for all three teachers. Liam's assigned day was Friday. He will go again this Friday, then he will start attending every day. I think they do this as a placement program which was fine until Liam started telling me how he did. Liam tells me about how he said the alphabet forward and backward. Then he said all the sounds of the letters but he didn't know the "y" sound or "h" sound. I responded with a good job. Then they asked them to write down all the words they know how to write. So, he wrote his name, tiger, lion, and octopus. I was surprised and asked Liam how he spelled those words, I didn't know he could spell them (with my congratulations, good job voice). He replies, "Well, for tiger I wrote a "t" and an "r." I think those are the right letters. For Lion, uhm...I put l-e-n, and octopus I think there is in an "o" then a "u" and a "p." Yeah, that's how I spelled it." So proud of himself! I sat there thinking oh boy, my child is going to placed in remedial class. I then explained he left out a few letters but did have some of the right ones. I was still proud of him for even attempting. I know he's a smart little boy and so it was easy for Jarom and me to just laugh it off. Maybe his next staggered day will be numbers. He's great with numbers!

Comments

Flynn Fam 6 said…
Yay for Liam! I bet he had a great day!! Good job trying to spell those words :) Gavin tests tomorrow but doesn't start until August 25th. He is so excited and is counting down!!
Unknown said…
Yeah for Liam.

He did really great. Most Kindergartner's don't even know all their letters, much less the sounds.

I am sure he will be great.

And, welcome to the world of moms with kids in school...it is one of my favorite phases so far.

it is so fun to see how excited the kids get about learning.
Mary Ann said…
How fun! I am sure he will do fine, if it is anything like school out here, he is way ahead of all the other kids!
Hannah Ashmore said…
how cute is he!
Yay! I have enjoyed reading and hearing about everyone's first kindergarten experiences. It sounds like Liam is a smart guy! I bet the teachers were all impressed.
The Mama said…
My oldest is going into Kindergarten this year too, how cool is that! I hope mine does as well as yours. I think the story of him spelling the words is too cute, thanks for sharing.
The Flynn's said…
Your mom told me about the reading thing. That's funny. They do the testing a little differently here. They actually do it after school has started and they test them for a week, then move them to a different class if needed. Hopefully Liam doesn't get stuck on the "short bus." :)
noelle said…
that is so cute. what a crack-up. hey, what's celeste up to these days? will you tell her i said hi next time you see or talk to her? loved that lady. always made me smile.
Liam is WAY more advanced than most Kindergarteners! There are some kids who don't recognize their own names, the colors or any letters when they start. I wouldn't be surprised if Liam ends up in an advanced class, if they have those. :)