Eating Habits
I seem to have this conversation with a lot of people and so I've decided to clarify my funkified eating habits. I'm no nutritionist by any means nor do I have good eating habits. I just love color and so I eat according to color. What?? I know, sounds crazy but it's true. It's partly from the way I grew up and somehow subconsciously carried this odd tradition with me. I do it mainly when I cook or when I have control over the food (ie. eating out and choosing a different side or at a potluck). If I eat at someone else's home no biggy. I'll eat whats served even if it isn't the most appealing color pallet.
I realized I actually was like this about a year or so ago. I was planning my menu and realized with a particular main dish I couldn't think of something green or red to coordinate with the dish!
Now that everyone knows my color obsession is to the extreme I have to say it's not so bad. It has it's perks. I hate to cook but I still cook about 28 days out of the 30 in a month. Having something appealing in front of my eyes definitely makes it better and easier.

I don't cook special things. I just simply decide whether the colors coordinate or not. How do I do that!? As I've told my dear friend Lindsey before, you would never see grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, corn and rolls all together for a meal at my house. No way!!!!! They are all white foods with a yellow. And the yellow isn't much of a veggie (ladies you've changed diapers and you know the veggies that pass right through). Instead, I would have grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, salad with tomatoes and probably no roll (because it's white or light brown). Now I have meal with white, orange, green and red. Ahhhh, much better. Dinner is the easiest meal to do this with, lunch and breakfast take a little more thought.
Overall, though my little habit seems weird the best perk is that color in foods is important. The nutrition offered with each type of food is a benefit. If your food pallet is bland then probably so is the nutritional value of your meal but, if you add a little color to the plate your eating healthier. And to think I was doing this just because it simply looked pretty!
Hungry?Click on here to learn more about the "Color Guide to Staying Healthy and Eating Right" from my newest favorite website Colourlovers.
Comments