Legacy

Dorsey Clarence "Dock" Flynn
July 11, 1916-May 18, 2009


Last week my grandfather passed away aka Pa-Pa. Attending his funeral was not the sad occasion I had anticipated. Though there is always sadness in death I was more at peace knowing that he lived a long life and that he had never been the same since my grandmother had passed away. I'm grateful that he slipped away peacefully and no longer suffers. I'm even more grateful to know that I can be with him with the rest of my family some day.

He was a father of one daughter and one son. Grandfather to 11 grandsons and 1 granddaughter (that would be me). I felt pretty special that day (even though being the only girl is the story of my life). It's probably been over 10 years since all granchildren have been together and about 5 years since all my brothers and me had been together. Seeing us all together was an exciting and joyful emotion, and being the crazy person I am I took a picture with each one of my brothers. (They are posted in descending order.)

The funeral turned out to be a rather eventful occasion of mixed sadness and happiness. I'm filled with so much happiness when I think of the legacy my Pa-Pa left behind. He didn't always agree with everything in our faith but he supported my family in our decisions and I couldn't be more grateful for that. Most importantly, I'm glad he raised my dad to be the man he is today and now I see it pass down to my brothers who are becoming wonderful men themselves, and as the daughter I hope can raise my sons to be great men too. I have truly been blessed with a wonderful family.

Comments

BiblioBags said…
Nice post. So true, that is sad, but I think all us knew he was ready to go. I only got to visit him a few times, but every time he had something hilarious to say. One time John brought some of this photos to show Pa-pa. Pa-pa response was, "I wouldn't pay a nickel for this! You need to get a real job. You need to pick up a d*** axe and cut down trees!" Not to mention the time he told Mary that she reminded him of those "naked dancing girls on TV." He cracks me up!

I wish we could've come along for the funeral. I bet it was so nice to have everyone together, even though it was for a sad reason.
Melissa Hodgen said…
Sorry to hear about the passing of your Pa-Pa but it sounds like you had a special relationship that will continue forever.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like a great person!
The Flynn's said…
All smiles come to my face when I think about Papa. I'll never forget him handing me a machetti (okay, I have no idea how to spell that word). He told me I might need it one day. He also told Scott and I that we needed to quit having kids cause "sooner or later people were going to run out of places to live." I'll miss going to Toccoa to visit him but I'm so happy for him that he's with Mema. He wanted that for a long time. I'm grateful I got to be even just a small part of him life!
Flynn Fam 6 said…
Gosh your post mad me have to hold back my tears. Gavin came and looked at the pictures you posted and asked when he was going to be 100. I told him since he passed away we really don't count anymore. He said he is still going to count since his Birthday is in almost a month. I have Gavin on video with Papa the last time we were there. We will treasure that forever! Although much different in life then me, I found him so interesting.