Random things on Growing up
The other night for dinner we grilled out hamburgers. Decent size hamburgers. Hyrum eats a whole one on the bun. Tipton ate a whole one too with lettuce (he knows his veggies are important). Liam, well, he eats TWO with the works. All leaving room for dessert. Give another year and I won't be able to feed these boys. I'm really starting to wonder how my mom managed 7 boys.
Liam has started the 1st grade. That alone seems crazy but this year Liam is able to ride the bus and so that's just what he's doing. He likes it. He likes it even better now that I don't escort him. I get up at 6:30 every morning for him. You would think he could appreciate that! I thought he would enjoy my company and his bus stop is not very close to us. A good 5 minute walk. I wasn't sure what to think when he asked that I not walk with him in the morning and don't be waiting for him when he gets off. WHAT!!!??? Is he embarrassed of me? Jarom kindly explained that he's just becoming independent. That's great. I want him to be independent, I think. Did I mention he's jumped three shoe sizes since last school year?
Hyrum seems to be in the same bracket of independence with Liam. He's decided he no longer needs a lid for his cups and that he can pour drinks himself. This has already been attempted twice with the milk and lemonade. Neither fully successful unless covering the kitchen floor and an empty carton of milk is considered such. He rarely finds a need for help. Even his potty training he tells me to go out and close the door. Yes sir!
Just when I think my kids don't need me then there is Tipton. He always speaks what he is thinking and thankfully I am usually there to remind him to not say such things. At church a man wore a pink tie. Tipton tells him he's dressed like a girl. The window guys were here and one man had long hair. Tipton yells to me (while the man's there) and says he looks like a girl. The mind kindly ignored him. Then the floor guys come and one has an earring. Tipton loudly explains that he is weird and is like a girl. Oh yeah, and there's the time at Blockbuster when he yells with excitement across the room that there is a funny movie I would like that has a girl in her underwear bowling. Embarrassed and curious of what this movie could be, I find it IS a girl in her underwear BUT she's not bowling. The bowling balls are her boobs. Nice Tipton. He is far too observant for his own good.
Comments
i'm glad i am raising girls...don't know if i could let them walk to the bus stop alone.
Oh Tipton. Sounds so much like Shannon, except along with the "you look like a girl" we have the "ew smoking is bad for you" and "you're old so you're going to die". Bowling balls haven't been a problem just yet.