Mixed emotions
A couple of days ago my brother Doug was killed in a bicycle accident. I've cried all I can cry for now, gone through the shock, but still not in complete acceptance. I just simply does not seem real. I can't seem to grasp that this has happened. Monday I will leave to AZ to be with the rest of my family, his sweet family he's left behind, and face him one last time. I don't know how to describe what I feel right now so, I'm just going to ramble to keep me occupied since I can't sleep.
I keep thinking of all my brothers at this time. I feel that my family life was so unique and really love the thought of being surrounded by so many good men all my life. They've all played an important roll in my life but now it seems dented...is that a word?
My feelings right now are sad and anxious. I want closure but nor sure if I'm ready for it or not. I don't like sadness and avoid it at all cost. This case is unavoidable. Seeing my brothers upset and emotional is even harder. To say a man that can cry is sweet and shows he's sensitive may be true, but to me right now it is possibly more than I can bear. I don't want to see my brothers this way. Torn and devastated. I couldn't even call them and had to call their wives instead. I just don't like sadness. And I don't want see my brothers sad. It sounds crazy I'm sure but it makes me feel sick. It makes my heart ache. As the sister, I feel it's my job to be the cry baby but to also be the comforter and just can't seem to put finger on it on how to be strong for them. I have always strongly felt that for some reason I would play an important role keeping my family together. I had that impression about 6 years ago and it inspired me to begin a family newsletter. I felt that same feeling once again.
As the tears roll my down my cheeks (which is quite a ways to go because I've got big cheeks) I'm not even sure what I'm sad about. Maybe I just need to cry, to cry.
I'm sad for my parents. I don't know what this must feel like to them. You can have a hundred kids but they will never replace THAT one. I'm sad for Mary his wife. She must feel so lost and alone. His children. He was a good father, I know. Like I've said, I'm sad for my brothers to be so sad. That for some reason is so hard for me to take in. I'm not quite sad that Doug's gone because I just haven't seen it for myself yet but the thought is pretty terrifying.
Doug was a good brother. He always called me L.B. That memory makes me smile.
I'm grateful for all the kind words, thoughts, memories and prayers that have been out there for him. It's made things a little lighter. I'm not surprised he had so many friends. Funerals are hard but they remind us of the best things in people and with that I find happiness. I could use some happiness.
For the past couple of days I have been fully embraced with LOVE. Real Love. It's amazing. It's kept me going. Thinking about it already makes me feel better. The truthfulness of the Gospel helps me have comfort and I know my pain is understood.
Ah, enough. (Sorry, for those who actually read through all this rambling but thanks for hearing me out.) The pictures are random but it was the last time I saw him.
Comments
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how you put these feeling together or make sense of anything. I know that you will find peace. I know it. I know Heavenly Father is aware of you and your family. We love you and are thinking of you
I can relate on how you feel when a loved one is taken, in what seems like way before their time. I also VERY much can relate to how you feel about other people's sadness. In fact, even after all the counseling I have had to this day, that is the one thing I can't seem to overcome. I want so badly to take away the other people's sadness and pain. I feel so helpless. Please try not to exhaust yourself with it. Your family needs you too. There simply aren't any words or advice that exists that anyone can give you that will make this situation better, so I'm not gonna try. It will get better through time and your faith, that is the bottom line. It will be hard, and you will struggle for a while. You sound a lot like me with the avoidance factor. You don't want to feel those sad emotions, but I PROMISE you, facing them, and repeatedly facing them, is how I was able to deal with it easier over time and accept them. They are part of me now. I am truely sorry for your loss, and I certainly will be here for you if you ever need to talk or vent. I completely understand.
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I sure wish I lived in AZ still. Can you email me your address when you get the chance?
candacefielding(at)gmail(dot)com
Much love,
Wendi
We are so sad for your loss and everyone else's loss. I'm sure it's difficult right now. We are praying for all of you. I admire your strength and desire to keep family close, how cool that you listened years ago to a small thought that brought a great thing- a family newsletter to keep everyone thinking of family, that's special.
I am so sorry. I don't even know what to say. I hope that what I'm about to say doesn't belittle what you are going through, but I have often thought that when loved ones are taken, especially early, that there is more that they can do for us on the other side rather than here. It still stinks, but I hope in some way that helps. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Also, if you need any help with the kids, let me know. I would be happy to watch them, even if you just need a day to sit at home and cry. Call me.
Becca
I can't even imagine how devastating this is. My heart really hurts for you and all your sweet brothers. And for that sweet baby boy who won't know his dad here on earth. And Mary. And Hannah and Jenna- what sweet girls.
I don't know how to get through something like this. The sadness consumes me.
Sorry, I am probably not being helpful- I just want you to know that you are not alone in your sadness and wanting to make others' sadness go away.
It is always a wake-up call for me, when a tragic accident like this happens. I can say that since I heard the news about Doug, I have been trying to appreciate and love all the things I have in my life. I am trying to live better each day. I guess that is all we can do.
Know that we are thinking of you. We love you guys.
and Matt would probably be upset with me if he knew I told you this, but yesterday we went and watched "Cloudy w/ a chance of mtballs" and at the end the dad thinks that he has lost his son. Matt was crying because he was thinking about your dad and Doug.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
You are SO loved! Doug is so loved too! His family and children will (in some way) be greatly blessed. I know the Lord is aware of us all. As hard as our trials are in life...He is aware of us. My heart aches for you. I will keep you in my prayers as well as your family. May you all be uplifted and strengthened during this difficult time.
All my love,
Karie
Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by My righteous, Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.