Just Say No to Nyquil!

I'm really putting myself out there by telling this story but embarrassment has become a part of my daily living. What's another humiliating story?

It all began on a Wednesday night when I had run out of Sudafed. I was desperate. Needed sleep. Feeling terrible. There was one Nyquil in our med cabinet and I decided to take it. Jarom and I both hate the stuff. I said to him that night that I had taken a Nyquil and I know I'm going to regret it.
Thursday morning I wake up around 6AM, my standard time. Get Liam breakfast and Hyrum (since he's awake) and then watch Liam walk to his bus stop. Come back inside and finish the normal routine, fix Jarom's lunch, iron him a shirt, fix Tipton breakfast, feed Hyrum again then turn on cartoons. Normally I would clean up the kitchen, start laundry or whatever was on my list for that day but instead I went back to bed just to lay down for a minute.
I fell asleep.
I immediately pop out of bed when I hear a man's voice talking to Tipton. I hear them then yell hello and I respond back quickly while trying to find some clothes to put on. I was in complete panic! My brain was racing trying to recognize the voice, realizing it's not coming from my front door, and not recalling any appointments for work on the house. Who is this man and why is he in my house!? I hear my children.
I find Jarom's basketball shorts.
I run out of my room, heading down my steps just to be greeted by a cop at the foot of my steps. Yes, I said a COP! I can just imagine what he was thinking as I walked down my stairs in my "bones, thug, and harmony" getup lookin' completely hungover and congested when I spoke.
"Are you the mom?" the cop asked.
"Yes?"
He assist me to my living room just to be greeted by another cop who looked like he was ready to stone me. Obviously not impressed by my choice of clothing to wear. I am in such shock and confusion at this moment. The second cop ask, "Did you know your child was missing?" Not to insult the dude but I can guess that if there was anything obvious is what that I had NO IDEA my child was missing. Both of them were here when I apparently fell asleep and both of them were still here when I woke up. What do you think?
I replied, with a more humiliating tone now, "No."
"Take a guess at how long he's been gone?"
What this is a guessing game now! "Um, 10 minutes maybe?"
"An hour."
I know your jaw just dropped open just as mine did. I immediately looked at my clock seeing that it was 8:31AM. My mind starting clicking, barely functioning, now not just from shock but pure humiliation. An hour? It hasn't been an hour since Jarom left and we always have family prayers before he leaves. Minus Liam, the whole family was there. An hour just couldn't have been possible.
The cop then goes on to ask for my driver's license, SSN, personal info for about the next 15 minutes and making me feel like dirt. Hyrum's running around as if nothing happened enjoying his little baggie of cinnamon toast crunch from the lady that called 911. Then two more police arrive at my home from the Family Crisis Unit. Sure, just help yourself in my house. No need to knock. Apparently, that's no longer a requirement? I'm not sure what those men were there for other than to make me feel like I was less than dirt. I will describe them as the chubby one and the slender one. The slender one I hate. They ask for my driver's license. At this point by the cops conversations I find that the 911 call was reported at 7:53am not an hour in the neighborhood beside me where Liam catches the bus. Sounds worse than it is. No doubt it is farther than he has gone before but our backyards meet up with each other. Hearing this I began to explain why I think he might have wandered to that area. The slender one didn't seem to care. He asked to "step outside" with him for a minute. Maybe it makes things off the record.
The slender one says, "I don't mean to be rude but you act like you don't even care."
Let me catch my breath for moment and process what you just said to me! Yes, it was very RUDE!!!!! I haven't had a moment to even think about my child missing because of all your stupid questions when this is clearly not some white-trash, druggie situation, despite my clothes and by -the-way my husband is an attorney you jerk! I didn't say any of that but I wanted to once I got over the complete shock. Actually, I don't even know what gibberish I spit out. It was so unexpected. I should have asked to him leave my house. I'm still processing the fact that my house was invaded. I really wanted to cry but I just couldn't, not for that man's sake. He goes on to explain how he understands that things happen but they shouldn't and it's unacceptable. I really want to drop-kick you! If only I knew how. ARGH!
The four uninvited cops who I keep trying to tell myself were just doing their job continued to hang around for whatever reason just standing there. I listened as the one cop continued to exaggerate everything about the incident. Thanks pal. What ever happened to straight facts. I'm completely cursing myself for taking that stupid Nyquil. Finally, the first two cops leave and the other two linger outside until DHS arrived.
An hour and 45 minutes since I was freakishly awakened, the DHS man arrives. By this point I have balled my eyes and completely weirded out poor Tipton. All this time he thought big people don't cry. He let me know that I was a good mommy and that I always take care of him. I called Jarom who had to work out of town that day. He just let me know that they needed to know that he was an attorney. I have to say, when they did ask his profession and I told them the questioning and atmosphere did change abit. The slender one never got word and has scarred me.
The DHS man was kind, pleasant, and understanding. I was finally able to relax somewhat, think as clearly as congestion would let me, and I could actually speak. Come to find out Tipton say Hyrum leave and never told me. He was watching Sports Center, no kidding. I don't blame him in any way. However, the DHS guy still had to question him and let's just say that was entertaining. Then he asked Hyrum a few questions, "How old are you?"
Hyrum replies, "Five."
"Really?"
Hyrum confidently says, "Yep."
"What's your name?"
Hyrum again with confidence, "Jesus. Jesus Christ...and the Holy Ghost."
The DHS man, trying not laugh, guessed that we went to church regularly and just stopped asking questions. As far as I know, the case is now closed.
Everyone left and I was able to finish up my crying talk to Hyrum about his incident. Fixed the door to the garage that he escaped from and thought about everything that just happened.
Two questions, how did they know where to bring my child? They never told me and it drives me crazy that I never thought to ask. Second, I've tried to give those cops the benefit of the doubt but what is their protocol?
An hour later I found out about my brother.
It was by far the worst day of my life but at least this incident quickly became the least of my worries and now sort of a laughing matter. Still humiliating but I can laugh about it. I know it happens to good women OFTEN. I've spoke with several. I know I'm not a bad mom and I'm entitled to be sick sometimes and accidentally fall asleep. I'm grateful for the woman that found Hryum and did what she should and call 911. It goes to show that good things happen too not just bad things all the time. I'll continue to live my life believing such.

Comments

Teresa Johnson said…
Wow...I mean WOW!!! I can't even imagine how stressful that had to have been. You are an awesome mom! I mean anyone who gets up at 6am everyday and irons your husband's shirt to boot is amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Flynn Fam 6 said…
Laura, this just cracks me up. I know it wasn't funny at the time but what a bunch of people who have nothing better or more exciting to tend to. It was probably the talk of the office all day, geeze!!!
kristi lee said…
Girl, you got some good stories. I briefly heard about this whole "incident" last week...now go sic Jarom on 'em!!!
Bonny Day said…
Laura, I am so sorry, I had the police called on my once b/c Hallie was pitching a fit (apparently someone thought I was hurting her) It is soo humiliating, and I bawled my eyes out. It's hard for someone to think your a horrible parent, when really you aren't! I'm really sorry you had to go through this!! I'm glad everything worked out though!
Melissa Hodgen said…
Hands down WORST DAY EVER! You take the cake. Out of body experience. AND Jarom was out of town? I think I'm most impressed that you are able to laugh at it now...it would take me a few years to recover. But, that's why you're a champ!

Let's hope this week is uneventful, healthy, and BORING for you! You deserve that at least.
BiblioBags said…
Oh, I didn't know all that happened that day! Worst. Day. Ever. The way you were treated was RIDICULOUS. I would have Jarom file a complaint about that. Throw some of his lawyer weight around! That is so hilarious/precious about Hyrum saying what his name was! John and I were laughing about that the other night, about Charlie's "cousin Jesus." :) Bless your heart, babe . . . and yes, have a boring weekend!
Definitely not fun while it happened but it does make for a good story. Kind of like my animal cracker experience at Wal-Mart...we all have those days...we all do. Let me just say this, in our home we don't speak very highly of policemen. Unfortunately, we don't say much at all. It's said, but they just aren't the trusting kind you used to find in Mayberry. Instead you have jerkface #1 & jerkface #2 that try to come up with anything they can to try and make themselves look better. We've all had run-ins with them.
At least it's all in the past. I will make a mental note not to take NyQuil on a weekday when dad isn't home (my backup) :)
Katina Angola said…
You know what is sad....Good mom's get the full blown investigation and the mom's who need to have their kids taken away dont. But I know you are a great mom.
The Flynn's said…
When your mom told me this story, she forgot to mention anything about NyQuil or that you had been sick and she REALLY should tell people that part of the story cause it makes way more sense now. Yup, NyQuil is a killer. It'll knock you out GOOD! I hate that stuff. I'd definitely classify this as a BAD DAY! Sorry all that happened.
Mary Ann said…
Unbelievable story! Of course, this would all happen on the one day that you actually fell asleep.
I probably would have lost it and yelled something at all the home invaders.
About the blueberry muffins- here is a great one http://maresfoodandfun.blogspot.com/2008/05/twd-orange-berry-muffins.html
You could sub plain or greek yogurt for some of the butter if you want a lower fat version.
I think I have a few more, but will have to look deeper in my archive.