Yuma, Arizona

Though my trip to Arizona was not for an exciting purpose, I still had never been before and wanted to enjoy what I could. This was difficult...people choose to live in Arizona? Shocking. Shocking for me I should say because I come from the COMPLETE opposite climate and terrain. I have a much better understanding for my sister-in-law's and their adjustment to the Southern region. My first impression, HOT, dry, flat, very flat, and lots of dirt.

The sunrise. It was beautiful and bright. Blinding even. I had never seen one like it before.

The only little town we pass through on our way to Yuma (which is 3 hours SW of Phoenix and 20 minutes from Mexico). I can't remember the name but it claimed a population of 1700. I think they need a recount. I never saw more than 10 and I'm still trying to figure out where were the houses?

Cactus! I had never seen a REAL cactus before.


These flowers were beautiful and seem to be the main plant to grow in this region. They were everywhere. I love the colors.


Some mountains, jagged hills? I don't what you would call them but it welcomes you right into Yuma.

Brian the oldest brother, his wife, Jarom and me stayed at Mary's parents' house. It was the most inviting , welcoming, and fun place. I enjoyed getting to see where Mary grew up and what it was like in her household of twelve. Yes, I said TWELVE!


Some lovely palm trees. For breakfast one morning we were served fresh grapefruit, lemon, and limes, from their orchard.


I saw a lot of dirt. A major farming area.

The Jacobson family are animal lovers. They don't have just your normal pets either. I found at least one lizard, about 30 birds, 2 dogs, 6-8 turtles (who were quite vivacious if you know what I mean), a cat or two and maybe a few more I'm leaving out. My kids would have been in heaven.


Then there was Molly. She is the neighbor's pet. To be one who does not love animals, I fell in love with her at first sight. I have this thing for plumpness. She won my heart. I wanted to bring her home. I even told Jarom we could get a pet if it were like Molly.

Comments

Hannah Ashmore said…
love the pig!
Melissa Hodgen said…
I feel like I need tons of moisturizer after seeing that dry desert. But, the thought of eating citrus straight from the tree is inviting.
WOW...did you enlarge the font so grandma could read. LOL!
Katina Angola said…
Molly is awesome!
The Flynn's said…
Molly... oooh, la, la! Holy Smokes. We were there for dinner one night and the turtles were in the backyard having a GREAT time, if you know what I mean.
Teresa Johnson said…
I want a Molly too!
Flynn Fam 6 said…
It was funny to me reading your interpretation of Yuma!! I feel the same way when I come to the south ; ) I wish you guys would come out more. Maybe just another 'you' trip to our house!!!
BiblioBags said…
I still wish i could've gone. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to go in February, which I'm so looking forward to.

I'm so not an animal lover either. We always had pets growing up and you know what? They chew, poop and pee on stuff! I value material possessions above animal companionship. :) Maybe I should print a t-shirt with that motto . . .