Thanksgiving



This is has become one of my favorite holidays. I love the FOOD, the time of year and just being with my family. This year it really seemed to be overlooked by the retail world. It was hard not to give into the pressure because I definitely LOVE Christmas but I managed to hold out.


For the past two years we have decided to rebel and celebrate just US. It has it's pros and cons. We don't have to travel, but I have to do all the cooking. I have a good excuse to decorate and not cook for the following TWO days. We don't get to see all the extended family but we really get to sit down with our children and talk about the things for which we are grateful. That's my favorite part. Even when they are little they can grasp gratitude.


This year we didn't fully fly solo. We invited a new family from church who's husband is doing his residency at the local hospital. As you can guess, she was husband-less, far away from home with three little ones. There was no way we were letting her be by herself at this time of year!



The fixin's were great with the traditional Southern dishes sweet potatoes and dressing and so much more. Delish!!! The funny thing, though the apples were merely for decoration, the kids all ate theirs. That was pretty much all they ate.

Comments

BiblioBags said…
I so envy your "just us" Thanksgiving. I know I take family for granted, but I can hear you on just doing a little family holiday. My dream is for John, Charlie and I to have a Christmas with "just us." As soon as we can move out, no one will see us ever again, Ha HA! JK . . .

I LOVE the way you decorated . . . so pretty!