Kung Fu Fighting


I've really been thinking about putting Tipton in karate classes. Jarom says, "NO!" I don't quite get his reasoning but he doesn't find much reasoning in it. I think Tipton would enjoy it and he's not showing to be too much into the "team" activities. This seems individual enough. Not to mention I think I would do it myself.
The debate. What to do? Tipton needs something.
Suggestions? Anyone?
I borrowed the crazy pic from socialworkout and the Kung Fu Fighting is Hyrum's FAVORITE song. It's how I get him to stop crying.

Comments

kristi lee said…
We're in the same boat with Kooper. He just started doing a little gymnastics. Not that we think he'll do that long term but for now it's "just for Koop." Next year we might try wrestling. I swore my kids would never wrestle but he's also not looking like he loves the team sport thing. Lovely wrestling uniforms here we come.
Flynn Fam 6 said…
If I can make one suggestion it would be not to get locked in to a contract. Gavin begged and begged us for 6 months to put him in karate. We finally obliged and signed him up, with a 6 month contract @ $80 a month. HUGE mistake.... He went for 2 months and ended up hating it. Sooo we were stuck paying the remainder of the contract, sucks! If you can do it month to month you are better off ; ) Good luck!
Katina Angola said…
Karate is a good activity. It doesn't mean they will turn out to be fighters. MOst Schools say the students learn dicsipline more than anything. Not to mention learning to defends one self
Melissa Hodgen said…
I have a green belt in Tae Kwan Do (not a big deal= 1 semester at BYU). I loved it am at taking a body combat class now.

Steve did Kempo in Chattanooga and raved about it.

We're going to put Shannon in a parent/child karate class next year with Steve.

I've found it very centering and empowering, yet lots of discipline at the same time.

I think you've got an idea about what our answer would be.
Sarah said…
I would highly recommend it. I have a black belt in TKD, and I know how much a lot of our kids at karate loved it. Not to mention that it was really good for them. One of the best things, to me, was the fact that it's a sport that can continue even once you're grown. As great as a lot of other sports are, once you grow up, it becomes harder to find a group to do them with, but karate can be lifelong AND it's individual, which is also great.

I do have to agree with the contract comment, though. It's not easy to find a place where you don't have to sign one. And if you do let him start karate, I would definitely go in and watch a few of the classes so that you can see how they are with the kids and so that he can see if it looks like something he would want to do. It's not quite exactly like I expected going in the first time.
BiblioBags said…
Who knows why dads say no to things? I wanted to put Charlie in a braindance class (toddler and mom thing done by Vanessa Dexter) and John said NO. I was very disappointed in him! I didn't think he was that close-minded. I'm still pushing for it, so we'll see.

I think karate, as long as you don't have to sign a contract, is a great idea. Charlie loves "Kung Fu Fighting" too! He's in a "Kung Fu Panda" phase right now . . . he watches it all the time. It's a nice break from "Cars."