The Test Kitchen

Click HERE for recipe
Menu: Chicken Dijon, candied carrots, and baby spinach salad.
Question: Trying new recipe will the kids like it because they help prepare the meal? Will they like it because they helped choose the meal?
Hypothesis: They will eat the item they chose to prepare.
Test: Tipton chose chicken dijon over skillet chicken bruschetta.
I chose the candied carrots because I needed something orange and desperate to try something other than sweet potatoes. Obviously, I needed something green also so I threw in some spinach.
Tipton helped prepare EVERYTHING but the salad.
Result: No one ate the salad except me. The boys at least tried the carrots but no one liked them. Jarom had two helpings. The chicken--Hyrum had two helpings. Jarom and I found the meal OK (too much mustard). Liam thought it was gross. Tipton,"I thought it was delicious!" Yeah, you would buddy.
They say if the child helps prepare the meal they are more likely to eat the food. This is not the case. According to my oh-so-scientific-study, I have found that they will TRY the food. If they have a say in what is being prepared they will LIKE the food and actually eat it.
The next test...having dinner on time. Dinners that use to be ready by 6:00 are now at 6:20 sorry about that Love. The kids slow things down a little bit.

Comments

Melissa Hodgen said…
Dinner looks great. I'll take it no matter what time it's served. Thanks for the link. I'm going to mix up my own taco seasoning soon, but play with the peppers...ancho and chipotle.