The Big Day


Tipton's first day of school was this past week. Here they stagger the kindergartners to "break them in." I've yet to see the purpose in this and have seriously considered writing a letter to whomever I need to to change the idea . . .anyway.

We, as parents, have been anticipating this day. We weren't sure how Tipton would respond. He seemed to be nervous and excited. One, he is a preschool "drop-out" and knew that from here on out dropping out was no longer an option. He also isn't one to like being around a lot of people, three's-a-crowd kind of thing. Nobody could really predict how he would take to his first day.

Jarom got up early that morning to make his favorite breakfast, waffles. We had his new back-pack all filled up and ready to go. He had his new school clothes on and was ready to go. Off they go. I was so nervous for him and his teachers.

I picked him up and he looked like one cool dude. He LOVED it! He liked all the teachers (he didn't mention anything about the other kids except that one boy had long hair and big lips.) The teachers said he had a great day. Whew! I was relieved.

Another one in school is crazy to me but such a fun adventure. I love seeing all the things they learn and watching them grow.

Comments

kristi lee said…
so glad he had a great time. i'm looking forward to that same response from kooper next year. i'm hoping that this extra year of maturity for him will be worth it in the end!!
Unknown said…
I know staggered day are hard on the kids in one way..especially if they are really excited to go,

but after helping a few teachers during those staggered day, I completely understand the wisdom in them.

There are so many things for a kindergartner to learn PROCEDURAL. It makes the transition a lot smoother for everyone that the teacher teaches all those things to a small group of 4-5 first instead of having 20+ at once. It also helps the kids transition. It's a lot less intimidating to get to know 4 other kids and then the rest of your class verses having 20 other nervous kids at once.

YEAH FOR TIPTION. I am sure he will love his new independence.
The Mama said…
They do the same thing with Kindergarten here and I am not liking it as well!! I can't wait for my boys to start at the same time.