Target

If I were Katniss Everdeen then I would take my bow and arrow and shoot Target right in the bullseye! You can see that I'm still recovering from the Hunger Games Trilogy.

This post may not be suitable for germaphobes or really anyone that eats on dishes for that matter. It might make one seriously consider their next purchase. For me, it's a necessary memory worthy of documentation.
I don't hate Target.
Their return policy is a PAIN.
I've never really had a problem with items I purchase there, but there comes a time for everything.
I give them 3 stars at this point. . . almost two.
Dishes. I love dishes. I love to host dinners depsite the fact that I'm terrified that I will makes somone deathly ill from my cooking. It never once crossed my mind that my dishes could do the same.
Jarom bought me new dishes after days of shopping and finally agreeing to something we both liked. They were beautiful, ceramic/stoneware, called "Adriatic Cream." They were meant to have food eaten off of them.
Issue, they were HOT. They got so hot in the microwave we had to use hot pads to get things out after a minute. So hot that they started heating up but not the food. So hot that they started turning black or developing little seams in them. So hot that it cracked and broke while my son was heating something up in the microwave for ONE minute.
I called and complained.
"Was anyone injured in the process, mam?" Target.
"No." Me.
"OK, well will be sure to file this to the proper line and get back with you." Target.
I never heard back.
Note: Microwavable safe only means that your plates do not have metal in them and that they won't melt.

I kept that plate for 2 1/2 weeks waiting to hear from someone. No call backs.
Three weeks later I am setting the table. I take my dishes out of the cabinet and what do I find!? MOLD!!! Mold was growing on my plates. This would be the part where you might want to gag.
I called back. . .FURIOUS!!!
I did tell somewhat of a white-lie and claimed that one of my sons has bad allergies (partly true) and that this could affect him badly and that I was going to have to take him to the doctor (not so true).
Notes were taken and I got a call back. So there.
I had those plates placed in a bag for 3 weeks.
Finally, I cleared every one of those dishes out of my house. We've been eating off of paper plates and washing dishes repeatedly since the lack of dinnerware.
It's been over 2 months now and they are just now letting me know that they have found the maker (even though it's Target brand) and filed a claim on their insurance. Lovely. What do I do with my plates?
I finally decided the heck with all this hassle I'm going to just return them, like I should have done in the first place. It was a pain. We had return limitations and had to keep going back different days using friends drivers license to finally return all four sets that we had bought. We only got Target credit. Like I'm buying more dishes from there!?
What's really gross about all this is that with the week and half that it took to get all the plates returned I kept them in a laundry basket in my car. With two of my return visits mold had grown on more plates. It didn't take much to convince the customer service clerk that these dishes were an issue.
So now the story ends with plain, white, Corelle dishes that I know will last me forever depsite their lack in attractiveness. At least, now I can serve food in confidence.
And yes, I'm still waiting for something back from the insurance claim. . .like that's ever going to happen.

Comments

Yo Mama said…
What a hassle!!! I never even knew that mold could grow so wildly like that. I like the Corelle stuff. I like to buy old patterns off of ebay. My favorite is Batik. I actually just have a big hodge podge of old vintage patterns. Maybe someday I will settle on one pattern, but for now we have a few to choose from.
Hannah Ashmore said…
That's rough. Sorry.
Stacy Fusitua' said…
Laura that's crazy! I have these same plates and have never had a problem, crazy!!! They may have switched manufacters or something so the quality has been jeopardized. I hope that you eventually find your dream dinnerware.
BiblioBags said…
Ugh. That is so nasty! Sorry about that. Definitely never buying plates from Target!
Flynn Fam 6 said…
That is sick! What a pain in the 2ss to return them. I would be so mad too. Ash had to return a few wedding gifts that were bought there but were not on her registry. Target would not return them period!!! So what to do with 3 toasters?!
The Flynn's said…
Whoa, that's crazy! I do HATE returns at Target. If you don't have a receipt, and it's past the 90 days, just forget it. It's pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't let it go though. Surely you know a good lawyer...