What's on the Menu?

Recently groceries has been the hot topic with friends of mine.  There's all these ways to save money yet the budget still seems tight.  It's never ending.  But one thing that I've tried that works great for me is making a menu for the month.  It's hard at first but it does get easier.  You learn your family's taste, you know your staples, etc.  It sounds crazy but it takes a weight off my shoulder not having to think every-other-night what I have in my kitchen and what am I going to cook.
I thought I would share one of the items on my menu this month.  It's one of my favorite dishes (my kids don't hate it) that I normally can make from my "staples" list.  I call it Rocky Top Bruschetta.  The original idea comes from something Longhorn Steakhouse use to serve. 

Rocky Top Bruschetta (serves 6)

3 chicken breast, halved (the ones I buy are usually pretty fat/thick)
BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is our favorite)
monterey jack w/ jalapeno cheese, sliced or slices
1 tomato
2-4 slices of bacon
fresh chives (about a tablespoon)

.
Preheat your grill to about 350. 
Fry bacon.  Let cool.  Set aside.
Grill your chicken putting the bbq sauce on the side up.  Cook for about 7 minutes. 
While cooking dice tomato (make sure this is a good size tomato) and chop the chives to small pieces.
Turn the chicken and bbq the other side and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. 
Crumble bacon in a bowl and add the diced tomatoes and chives and toss it all together.  (You might want to shred some jalapeno cheese to add if you buy the block not slices.)
Turn off your grill and put the cheese slices on top.  Close the grill and let the cheese melt.  Once melted (it might take a minute) remove and serve.  (Don't overcook your chicken or it will be dry).
Serve the chicken and spread the bruschetta blend on top. 


I like to serve this with steamed broccoli and rolls or garlic-herb pasta (not both because that would be two white/yellowish dishes and that's against my color rules!).


Enjoy!

Comments