Seven Boys

While my sister-in-law Celeste was out of town (visiting Phil and Gloria in Bosnia with her two oldest) I helped keep the younger three boys for a couple of days.
It rained ALL day the first day. 
You can only play hide-n-seek so many times, and I think they attempted Sardines but that wasn't working very well.  They played other things but they needed to get outside.
We live near a creek and I agreed to take them.
I always question these agreements after I've loaded all seven of the boys in the car, one that will have to sit on the floor, and I've recently had a ticket.
Then I hear all their giggles and excitement and I can't help but smile.
I've never seen boys so excited, especially Liam, he couldn't wait!
Here I was with SEVEN boys. 
The other people there couldn't believe I had seven kids, let alone ALL boys! 
This was a good laugh. 
I should have gone along but admitted only four of the seven were mine.   
The lady still remained slightly shocked.

As excited and cool as these kiddos were, all of the sudden there became some hesitation.
Murky water, with some small rapids and a little cold...
each one waited for someone else to make the first step.
  There was lots of prying but no moves.
 (Marshall was the only one with no hesitation.  I had to watch him closely.)

Hyrum just trying to get to their location.

They decided to find another way in the water. . . one not so questionable.
Unsuccessful.

Shirts off.  Feeling braver.
Right back to the same location.
At this point, they were sure they saw several turtles come up for air, tons of leeches on a rock, and discussion of different river monsters.
Fifteen minutes there and still no one in the water.
At least they weren't bored, no?

Looks like Zach is going for it. . .

Or maybe let's try another location.
A few slips now (mind the dirty bottoms) but still no one had gotten in the water.

They did it!  They got across!  And to think it wasn't even that deep.  All.  This.  Time.
There was one who ALMOST didn't cross. 
I confess it did seem a little scary.  Every attempt he said he just couldn't do it. 
Withe SEVEN boys you can do anything!  They worked together and got everyone across. 
I was impressed.

Then they made their way upstream.  (It really wasn't that deep, Lance was on his stomach pulling with his arms--goofy.)

Water places like this I find kind of gross. 
They are fun to wade your feet in but I have a great appreciation for full immersion in chlorinated water.
Heck, I guess to them once your in your IN. 
Tipton was the first to go under. 
All I could think about was these boys bathing as soon as we got home.
Note:  The water was freezing.

We survived and only had a few mishaps:  Liam losing his flip-flops down stream and Zach rescuing them.  Hyrum slipping and hitting his head on the rock, that was our cue to go.

Next stop, Grandma's house.
It looked like it was about to rain but I had told them I would take them to ride the 4-wheelers.
Stinky and wet we hopped in the van and headed our way.

My brother Matt took them out on the trails and up to his little cabin.
It started raining lightly as we first started out.
It started pouring mid-way thru.
Playing in the rain makes it that much better.

Matt had to take the kids in shifts.
Liam and Zach being the oldest drove the small 4-wheeler while they waited their turn. 
This was great until it ran out of gas.

The boys were freezing and Matt had to build them a fire in the cabin.
Did I mention it's July?

Muddy.  Wet.  Seven boys.
You can imagine the smell of my van.

They bathed.
Had a cookie bake-off.
What a fun day.
Being near cousins has been a blast.

Comments