The Philanthropist
Tipton was baffled by thought of someone coming to school on Career Day dressed as a billionaire. He explained to me that it made no sense. His words, "Why do I need so much stuff? I don't need my own airplane or things like that." He continued on with the fact that he is cheap. He would much rather have a store that where one place sells an item for $20 he would sell it for $5. He wants to be the cheapest person.
The a-hah moment, a second grader and their confused vocabulary. I explained many billionaires are cheap which is why they have so much money, or maybe they are frugal and smart. Then I tried to help him understand that he more than likely would just be broke, no money at all, if he always sold stuff for so cheap, but that it's a good idea to offer the best deals to have business. He thought and processed what I was explaining. His conclusion was that he would rather just give stuff away.
That is what I call a philanthropist.
Maybe someday this will be Tipton:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/nyregion/a-billionaire-philanthropist-struggles-to-go-broke.html?_r=0
The a-hah moment, a second grader and their confused vocabulary. I explained many billionaires are cheap which is why they have so much money, or maybe they are frugal and smart. Then I tried to help him understand that he more than likely would just be broke, no money at all, if he always sold stuff for so cheap, but that it's a good idea to offer the best deals to have business. He thought and processed what I was explaining. His conclusion was that he would rather just give stuff away.
That is what I call a philanthropist.
Maybe someday this will be Tipton:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/nyregion/a-billionaire-philanthropist-struggles-to-go-broke.html?_r=0
Comments