A Tale fo Three Sons
This story doesn't really have an ending, just yet, but it seems to have a beginning that someday will lead to an interesting outcome.
My mother was sick and recently returned home from the hospital. The boys and I were going to visit here and decided that we would stop and get her some flowers on our way. They were all aware that Grandma loves flowers (this was the first good start of observation). One even decided that he would bring his own money and get her some chocolate candy bar because anybody would like that (smart boy).
As we walked into the store the floral area was almost immediately in front of us displaying a whole variety of flowers, vases, and even indoor plants. My oldest, Liam went straight to the mixed bouquet of lilies, chrysanthemums, and a few other species in different hues of orange, yellow and white. My second son, Tipton went straight to the bouquet of a dozen roses (that was a little out of my price range). Hyrum, my third son, went straight to the flowers that were pretty much all varieties of mums died the bright pinks, oranges, greens, and maybe even an aqua flower was in there.
I was surprised with how they all chose different flowers and all insisted I get their choice. I was impressed with their taste and thought about what each of their choices said about them as an individual. It was mommy moment. Then I cam back to reality and began to focus on the math of this equation. I love my mother, but I just didn't have that much money spend.
Compromise. Liam and Hyrum both agreed that they like the mixed variety of flowers with lots of color. They agreed two pick two smaller bouquets with this combo. Tipton wouldn't budge on the roses. He liked the pink ones and orange ones but couldn't decide. (That was easy for me, neither.) He didn't like that I wasn't going to let him get those roses! So we browsed some more and found. . . an indoor rose bush. They were miniature roses not yet bloomed in a beautiful deep coral color with hits of hot pink. He was taken. He liked that these flowers would keep blooming and not just die after a while. I'm always impressed with the way that boy thinks! (I was even more impressed that it ended up being cheaper than all the flowers we chose!) It was perfect.
Grandma loved the flowers and yes, the rose bush still loves on weeks later.
As for my mommy moment, having a bunch of boys it's important to take them shopping for flowers. It's what girls love. It's part of the training to make them good husbands. What I loved most was their different taste. Tipton went straight for the jackpot and some girl is going to snatch him up and milk him for every penny, but I love his taste. Liam went for elegant and Hyrum for fun. Maybe they are still young but I felt it gave me a small glimpse of what kind of girls they are going to bring home some day for Jarom and me to meet. These are the mommy moments I enjoy. I look forward to this To Be Continued. . .
If you are wondering where the fourth son was in all of this, Marshall, he was wildly causing mayhem while I tried to speed the other brothers up on their decisions.
My mother was sick and recently returned home from the hospital. The boys and I were going to visit here and decided that we would stop and get her some flowers on our way. They were all aware that Grandma loves flowers (this was the first good start of observation). One even decided that he would bring his own money and get her some chocolate candy bar because anybody would like that (smart boy).
As we walked into the store the floral area was almost immediately in front of us displaying a whole variety of flowers, vases, and even indoor plants. My oldest, Liam went straight to the mixed bouquet of lilies, chrysanthemums, and a few other species in different hues of orange, yellow and white. My second son, Tipton went straight to the bouquet of a dozen roses (that was a little out of my price range). Hyrum, my third son, went straight to the flowers that were pretty much all varieties of mums died the bright pinks, oranges, greens, and maybe even an aqua flower was in there.
I was surprised with how they all chose different flowers and all insisted I get their choice. I was impressed with their taste and thought about what each of their choices said about them as an individual. It was mommy moment. Then I cam back to reality and began to focus on the math of this equation. I love my mother, but I just didn't have that much money spend.
Compromise. Liam and Hyrum both agreed that they like the mixed variety of flowers with lots of color. They agreed two pick two smaller bouquets with this combo. Tipton wouldn't budge on the roses. He liked the pink ones and orange ones but couldn't decide. (That was easy for me, neither.) He didn't like that I wasn't going to let him get those roses! So we browsed some more and found. . . an indoor rose bush. They were miniature roses not yet bloomed in a beautiful deep coral color with hits of hot pink. He was taken. He liked that these flowers would keep blooming and not just die after a while. I'm always impressed with the way that boy thinks! (I was even more impressed that it ended up being cheaper than all the flowers we chose!) It was perfect.
Grandma loved the flowers and yes, the rose bush still loves on weeks later.
As for my mommy moment, having a bunch of boys it's important to take them shopping for flowers. It's what girls love. It's part of the training to make them good husbands. What I loved most was their different taste. Tipton went straight for the jackpot and some girl is going to snatch him up and milk him for every penny, but I love his taste. Liam went for elegant and Hyrum for fun. Maybe they are still young but I felt it gave me a small glimpse of what kind of girls they are going to bring home some day for Jarom and me to meet. These are the mommy moments I enjoy. I look forward to this To Be Continued. . .
If you are wondering where the fourth son was in all of this, Marshall, he was wildly causing mayhem while I tried to speed the other brothers up on their decisions.
Comments