'Tis the Gift to be Simple
I will first start off by saying having a house for sale, showing it and being pregnant are not things that go well together. I have been grateful for the activity and interest in our home but you lose your patients quickly when no offers come to the table (or decent ones). Being pregnant just slows me down and even more impatient. I seem to almost have no control over my moods and my poor boys quickly lie victim to my craziness.
Christmas this year I was really having a hard time getting into the mood. I ended up only putting up half my Christmas decorations, didn't send out Christmas cards, our elf never made it, the lights kept going out on the tree, almost didn't have my annual Christmas party (which turned out disastrous anyway), and Jarom told Liam the truth about Santa. I just couldn't do it.
SIMPLICITY.
That's what I would remind myself. Keep it simple. Enjoy the spirit of Christmas.
I did. I kept it simple and small.
At first it was hard because I continually kept thinking I needed to do more, as in buy more or have more. It was like I was leaving things out. I was torn between the "gifts of love" and "it's Christmas you are suppose to buy gifts."
I decided to take a different approach to the gift giving and fall back on the days I was growing up. I don't ever recall giving my parents list of all the things I wanted. I'm sure I gave plenty of verbal input but I just can't remember my parents asking me what I want.
Now my mother, all my life, has been a gift giver. She always is giving gifts to people and her family and they always have a reason or meaning behind them. It may not have been something you wanted or thought of buying for yourself but somehow you end up loving it or the gift being just what you needed. I think that's a true talent. I don't have this talent but I tried. I took the time to listen to what my kids wanted and then thought about what they actually do each day and enjoy. Would they play with this gift they asked for? Though I only made one handmade item, putting more thought into their gifts I think made my Christmas much better.
In the end, it wasn't a huge Christmas but they were things the boys seem to be excited about and I didn't feel like I had thrown money out the door. For example, Hyrum couldn't really think of anything he wanted from Santa. I should be grateful that there wasn't anything he felt like he had to have, but I took note of the things he liked to do when he gets home from school because I had to get something. He loves to sing and listen to music. He actually dances like no one is watching. Well "Santa" got him a karaoke machine and Just Dance for the Wii. He said he didn't know why he got that he wouldn't use it. I was a bit concerned that maybe I was off in my observation. . .he uses it EVERYDAY!!!
That afternoon/evening we spent at my parent's house for a family get together. The food was delicious, as always.
I have been wanting to buy a BINGO game set for family activities. I finally broke down and bought one and we played a few rounds at the Flynn family gathering and my mom bought a few gifts for prizes. It was only for the adults and we had a good time. Though all of us are competitive, sometimes the ones you expect to be the least competitive are the most, making the game more funny. Jarom and I lucked out and won the bonus prize for blacking out our bingo board. It was a Longhorn's gift card and I couldn't have been more appreciative of that treat a few weeks down the road.
Christmas this year I was really having a hard time getting into the mood. I ended up only putting up half my Christmas decorations, didn't send out Christmas cards, our elf never made it, the lights kept going out on the tree, almost didn't have my annual Christmas party (which turned out disastrous anyway), and Jarom told Liam the truth about Santa. I just couldn't do it.
SIMPLICITY.
That's what I would remind myself. Keep it simple. Enjoy the spirit of Christmas.
I did. I kept it simple and small.
Our traditional reading of the Christmas story from the scriptures on Christmas Eve.
Tipton always has his doubts that they have been good enough for Santa to come, but he made it.
For the past month and half I had been going to Walmart to keep my eyes on Lego items for the older boys. At the end of one of the aisles, this gun Marshall would go to a play with every time. He loves his guns.
Jarom is so hard to buy gifts for and I feel like it's similar things every year. He manages to guess what he's getting every year as well! Here he's "trying to guess" what his gift is from the boys. Of course, it is always UGA related.
My attempted homemade gift was for Hyrum. I made a race track because he loves to play with cars, Disney Cars specifically. I wanted him to be able to take it with him or play with it at home. It didn't turn out as planned but it works.
All Marshall wanted this year was a "red bike and a helmet."
I decided to take a different approach to the gift giving and fall back on the days I was growing up. I don't ever recall giving my parents list of all the things I wanted. I'm sure I gave plenty of verbal input but I just can't remember my parents asking me what I want.
Now my mother, all my life, has been a gift giver. She always is giving gifts to people and her family and they always have a reason or meaning behind them. It may not have been something you wanted or thought of buying for yourself but somehow you end up loving it or the gift being just what you needed. I think that's a true talent. I don't have this talent but I tried. I took the time to listen to what my kids wanted and then thought about what they actually do each day and enjoy. Would they play with this gift they asked for? Though I only made one handmade item, putting more thought into their gifts I think made my Christmas much better.
Stockings full of candy.
That afternoon/evening we spent at my parent's house for a family get together. The food was delicious, as always.
I have been wanting to buy a BINGO game set for family activities. I finally broke down and bought one and we played a few rounds at the Flynn family gathering and my mom bought a few gifts for prizes. It was only for the adults and we had a good time. Though all of us are competitive, sometimes the ones you expect to be the least competitive are the most, making the game more funny. Jarom and I lucked out and won the bonus prize for blacking out our bingo board. It was a Longhorn's gift card and I couldn't have been more appreciative of that treat a few weeks down the road.
Comments