Mother's Day
If there is one thing I have learned from mother, it's how to make boys!
I guess you can't really learn that but being born to a family of boys sure prepared me for my role as a mother.
I can say that my mom has taught me many things and some things I never realized until I became a mother. Like those moments where you do something with your children because of the memory you had with your mom. She set an amazing example of being a good wife and supporting her kids in the things they loved. Though she didn't get to attend many of my dance or cheer things, she tried to make sure I had ways to get where I needed and learn all I could to develop my skills. I saw her take charge in building a soccer program because there wasn't one for my brothers to play. I have watched her be a great leader and serve with love. I can always remember my mom having a stash of gifts for who-knows-when. I have always loved that she is a gift giver and is a thoughtful gift giver at that.
One of the greatest things that I'm thankful to my mother for is her testimony of the gospel. I saw her live it and because of her I love Relief Society. I value and knew visiting teaching was important because I was saw her scheduling to do hers, going with her, or having her visiting teachers come over. I can recall walking in her room because she didn't answer the door and she would be kneeling by her bedside praying. So many small and simple things that have stayed with me and helped in my time as a mother. I am grateful for all she did and gave up for me and still continues to do so.
Today has been a sweet day full of love towards me. I know showing emotions can be hard for boys. I'm grateful for this day that simply helps them step a little out of their comfort zone and say how they feel, especially when I get to be the recipient!
Poor Marshall, I believe, has still not forgiven me for having Bret. Though he loves Bret, Jarom is who he loves most and can only love me "because he loves Daddy."
We all find it pretty humorous.
I guess this post is really more of a personal post than for the family blog, but some day looking back, my boys may read this, and I want them to know that I am truly grateful and blessed to be their mother. At times, I feel overwhelmed by the responsibility I have trying to fulfill my role. I pray for my sons everyday and pray for help in being a good mother. Parenting doesn't come natural for all nor does compassion, in my case.
One of my favorite paintings is of Cornelia. It goes with the story of though she had wealth and could enjoy the fine jewels as other women, instead she placed her children as her highest value replying, "These are my jewels."
And so it is that I feel the same. I may not be the most compassionate (and loving mother at times) but I no doubt, find my children as my greatest posession and take great pride in them.
These are my jewels.
Comments