Chores Are Hard

"Chores are hard." 

"I hate chores."

"Why do I have to do it?"

These phrases are not uncommon around my house, especially with Marshall, who has recently been added to the kitchen chore list.

Setting the table is his favorite, if you had to pick from things you hate.  It's the easiest.

Tonight was entertaining getting him to get the job done.  Out of the corner of my eye I catch him gathering cups and filling them with ice and water, adding his own personal touch.  Here was how he did it:

Step 1:  Ask everyone if they already have a cup or if they need one down from the cabinet.

Step 2:  Put ice in each cup.  LOTS of ice and then dump some of it out.

Step 3:  Fill each cup of water to the brim.  Then, take a sip (or two or three) from each cup to make sure it doesn't spill before taking it to the table.

I didn't tell anyone about step 3, I was just happy that he did his chore.  We're family, right?

I try to tell my kids they can do hard things.  As impatient as I tend to be with them I am always grateful that they help around the house and try to get it done.  And that's hard for me.  I too can do hard things.

Comments