The Pool

It's been pretty darn hot these past few weeks. 
 Like HOT, HOT, mid 90's and it's only June (when I started this).
With the weather being as it is, I realized I can't miss the opportunity to tell a story of how our entertainment during this hot summer came to be.
*warning: picture overload*

The Pool
Since we made the decision to not move then this was our first project for actually settling in.
Funny enough, we kind of have the pool because we didn't move!  I was frustrated with the whole situation, just had a baby, been pretending my home wasn't even my home for 13 months, and now school was out and I had five crazy boys at home.  (That's the very short version of that story.) When Jarom asked what project I would like to do first, I almost immediately replied, "Get a pool."  Surprisingly, he agreed.  I'm not even sure that's what I really wanted, it was just one of those days and I now have a pool.  :)

This has been one adventure in itself.
One of those things that I questioned the entire time, "Do we have money for this?"  "Is this how I want to spend my money?"
In the end I am glad we did and don't regret it for a minute.

Phase I
We needed steps.  We can't have a pool with no access!  We ripped out a part of the railing and had my brother Matt build the stone steps for us.  Even if we didn't have a pool it was so nice to have that middle access at the porch because it's so long.  He did a beautiful job.


 

Phase II
A price and design had now been decided and it was time for the digging to begin.  It was suppose to begin on my birthday but I had to wait one more day.


Our yard would never be the same.
Mine as well enjoy the dirt with some power wheel racing.

 

Phase III
The construction begins.  This went very quickly and I was surprised.  It took just a little over a week.  In our design we had steel steps put in the pool for a more professional/sleek look and space.  They made the wrong vinyl covering and had to be reordered causing a couple of days in delay.


This crew in all their time of installing had never put in these type of steps.


Covering up the vermiculite (the special concrete) before the vinyl liner goes in.

Vacuum suctioning the liner to make it tight.
 Phase IV
Time to fill her up!  The pool is 28,000 gallons.  It took two days to fill and only a little over $60 to fill.




It's finally full.
It's like my own little pond in the back yard!





Phase V
We could dive in!  It would be eight weeks before we could put in the concrete, as we had to wait until the dirt settled and packed down.  We were still gonna swim.  So, we put some carpet scraps down and left over rocks from the steps at the porch and enjoyed the rest of the summer.
I think the boys swam almost every day up until mid October.









These long steps I love and were worth every penny!
Most people can't tell that our pool is vinyl.
Phase VI
Finally, the time had arrived to put in the concrete.  This was constant going back and forth trying to decide and make sure that we had enough concrete.  We had been told to get more always but we didn't want tons of concrete and I wanted some plants around the pool.



There was a foam form around the edge of the pool because I wanted a specific type of bullnose over the pool instead of the standard cap.




Wrong diving board and steps in the deep end!

 
 

COMPLETE!!!!!
The fence was put in the week before Christmas.  
 
 
This was a big decision to make and it's a little extra work, but it has been worth every penny.  Entertainment day and night.  Many memories already made.  I am so glad we put this pool in!
 




Comments