Mother's Day

I know this holiday seems heavily commercialized but it seems to e one of those holidays that the country got right.  One of the great Ten Commandments is to "Honor thy father and thy mother."  Our nation makes a special time set to stop, pause and take a breather.  Remember the wonderful women that have come before us, the women that surround us today, and the future women that will lead generations.  It's needed, With all the busy hooba-baloo (that's my level of vocabulary), it's easy to move right along and not recognize all the good deeds done by so many good mothers. 

I have pondered today on the talks that I heard in church, all relaying how important we are as mothers in society.  I have thought of the many women in my life that have played motherly roles, and especially my mother.  I have thought of two of my old friends that recently lost their mothers and what a difficult day this will be for them.

Jarom had to leave town today for work.  Liam tried really hard to hold down the fort and make my day a special day.  I didn't really want much or expect much.  They let me nap on the back porch, went on a walk with me (despite they hate to do that), and made sure Bret was fed and diaper changed.  Hyrum tried his best to make me Dump Cake by himself.  I even tried to help with something and he told me I can't help on Mother's Day!  Those are the sweet little moments that I appreciate.  They attempted to clean up for me.  They got along and worked really hard to not argue over anything.  I think it exhausted them!  Their attempts were heartfelt and much appreciated.  It was a special day.

Being a mom isn't always easy.  I recently just cracked and thought "forget this!"  I even told Jarom I don't always like my job. Yet being a mom isn't always that hard and has it's benefits.  For those days that I break and want to call it quits, I know I still won't get fired.  That's promising!  I try not to make a habit of it but it definitely helps me know it's okay to have bad days.  That's why I love mother's day.  It's a filler up.  Their notes and attempts let me see that they do appreciate me and love me in their own ways.  It gives me a boost to keep at it. 

From the mouth of babes this year:
Tipton--He made a book of poems at school and these were some of the highlights for me. :)
  • My mom is more flexible than me at age 34.
  • Mom is mainly on the ball.
  • She is not risky, but a good choice maker.
  • She is very persuasive.
Hyrum--He wrote an "article" on why I should be mother of the year.  Some of the quotes:
  • She also gave birth to 5 children and she loves me the most.
  • My mother also buys me presents and always always gives me a good night hug and kiss.


I'm grateful to be a mother.  I'm grateful for my mother.  I'd say because of her I am who am today, but she may not like all that I've become today and may not want that all thrown on her!  Instead I will say, her example I continue to strive to follow in being a good mother.  She gave many hours of her life to me and my brothers.  She is very thoughtful which I still lack behind in developing that quality.  I have many blessings in my life today because of her.


Comments