Week 2 of Social Distancing
We have now completed our second week of "social distancing" for the COVID-19. Everyday more and more information comes out and it's hard to tell what is accurate and what is not. There are doctors opinions coming from all angles and of course, political biases come into play when giving information to the public. It's very sad how corrupt our media has become and undependable.
I have really enjoyed the past 2 weeks being home with the boys. We have a good routine and everyone has most of the time gotten along. (When of many miracles at a time like this.) We get up to eat breakfast and have family scripture study at 9:00am. Then they do school work until noon. If they finish early, they can play but now TV or video games. Then we have lunch. I try to regulate some of the food to stretch it out as much as possible, since I don't know how long this will go on and I never know what will be available at the grocery store lately. After that, if their chores are complete they are allowed 3 hours of electronics. I make them clock in and clock every time they get on and off. I feel like for our family, it's been productive.
The first week the boys did really well on their school work but got bored so quickly. They kept nagging me to go to a friends or have friends over. I wouldn't let them because it defeated the purpose of social distancing. This second week, they realized I wasn't giving in and have started learn to use their creative sides.
Overall, it really has been a blessing to have all my boys at home. I have enjoyed the quiet time in the morning and helping them learn. I love not having to get up too early! I have really loved having scripture study more regularly again. It's been so hard with teaching seminary, having kids with different routines in the morning and then crazy schedules in the evening. It was very easy to keep missing scripture study during the week and just hoping they were reading on their own. I don't know about the boys but I have felt a change within the home.
We actually have free time, like REAL free time. Literally, everything has just come to a stop when it comes to sports, school events, meetings, and many doctor appointments. We have no where to be or any obligations and I really don't miss it. I'm constantly trying to get them outside when we have nice weather, which is finally starting to happen (we've had so much rain I thought we might be on our way to becoming a rainforest). I also find myself trying to schedule activities to do, like go ride bikes or hike, then I stop myself and try to keep the free time and be a little more spontaneous.
Today the prophet has asked all members to pray and fast for this world pandemic. To fast for physical, economical and spiritual healing. I have a strong testimony of fasting and I know that it will bless our nation as well as many around the world. I hope that I can instill in my boys the power of fasting and hope they can do better at fasting.
A few things I've learning in the past weeks:
I have really enjoyed the past 2 weeks being home with the boys. We have a good routine and everyone has most of the time gotten along. (When of many miracles at a time like this.) We get up to eat breakfast and have family scripture study at 9:00am. Then they do school work until noon. If they finish early, they can play but now TV or video games. Then we have lunch. I try to regulate some of the food to stretch it out as much as possible, since I don't know how long this will go on and I never know what will be available at the grocery store lately. After that, if their chores are complete they are allowed 3 hours of electronics. I make them clock in and clock every time they get on and off. I feel like for our family, it's been productive.
The first week the boys did really well on their school work but got bored so quickly. They kept nagging me to go to a friends or have friends over. I wouldn't let them because it defeated the purpose of social distancing. This second week, they realized I wasn't giving in and have started learn to use their creative sides.
Overall, it really has been a blessing to have all my boys at home. I have enjoyed the quiet time in the morning and helping them learn. I love not having to get up too early! I have really loved having scripture study more regularly again. It's been so hard with teaching seminary, having kids with different routines in the morning and then crazy schedules in the evening. It was very easy to keep missing scripture study during the week and just hoping they were reading on their own. I don't know about the boys but I have felt a change within the home.
We actually have free time, like REAL free time. Literally, everything has just come to a stop when it comes to sports, school events, meetings, and many doctor appointments. We have no where to be or any obligations and I really don't miss it. I'm constantly trying to get them outside when we have nice weather, which is finally starting to happen (we've had so much rain I thought we might be on our way to becoming a rainforest). I also find myself trying to schedule activities to do, like go ride bikes or hike, then I stop myself and try to keep the free time and be a little more spontaneous.
Today the prophet has asked all members to pray and fast for this world pandemic. To fast for physical, economical and spiritual healing. I have a strong testimony of fasting and I know that it will bless our nation as well as many around the world. I hope that I can instill in my boys the power of fasting and hope they can do better at fasting.
A few things I've learning in the past weeks:
- Research papers in school are important. In today's society its so difficult to know what is truth. Learning to properly research information and cited sources allows them to better distinguish truths and form better thoughts and opinions.
- The world of technology is amazing. It has kept my kids learning and staying on track to finish their grades of school this year. Even in a time where we can't go visit each other or hangout, there are so many ways to stay socially engaged with others and still see each other.
- Other parts of technology are a curse. I think video, phone and computer games are great but it is unbelievable how addicting they can be, or really most entertaining sites like YouTube. My kids are so dependent they don't know how to entertain themselves. It's like a part of their brain has been dissolved. When they don't have electronic time, they don't know what to do? This social distancing has been the best remedy.
Comments