MERRY CHRISTMAS!

 


It's been a nice holiday break and we have been blessed with another great Christmas.  Jarom did all the hard work this season being Santa and buying all the presents.  I have always loved Christmas but this year I just couldn't bring myself to purchase any more junk and spend money on things we didn't really need or really want.  After 21 years the table has turned and I was the Scrooge this year.  I did however still get all the decorations put up and send out Christmas cards.  Bret and Hyrum really love helping to decorate the tree.  Hyrum especially loves Christmas and playing Christmas songs (he updated our doorbell to various Christmas songs).




Hyrum went and helped Grandmother and Grandma decorate their trees this year.  He seemed to enjoy getting out of the house and getting ready for Christmas.  

Having a month off for school, I put all my effort into our elf, Max.  Max has been visiting our house for 15 years now. I still have a few more years to ago, but I look forward to the day he finally retires. :)  I actually prepared this time with what I was going to do in advance (which I have never done) and made things much easier, obviously.  It amazes me how the boys look forward to Max coming every year.  Max left lots of treats, hid candy canes, took pictures of himself on the printer, painted everyone's toenails in their sleep, and even decorated our windows with fake snow.

   

It has been a cold week building up to Christmas.   With great excitement, we woke up to a dusting of snow on Christmas morning.  Some areas (like Knoxville) got up to 3 inches.  This is the closest we have ever had to a white Christmas and we will take it!



Hyrum asked for almost all food items this year.  A big hit is goodies from Universal Yums.  Every month they send a box of snacks from different countries.  Some are good, some are really gross!  



Marshall asked for a series of books this Christmas.  School is not always easy for him but he loves historical fiction.  I was glad to see that didn't stop him from wanting to read.


Each year we do our family gift exchange and Bret drew my name this year.  We learned a lot about Bret this season.  One, the gift limit was $25 but Bret said for me it was $15.  Then, he drew me a picture at school and was so excited that he didn't have to spend any money now and the picture could be the gift.  (The picture was very sweet but I think he was just more concerned about not using his money. haha)  Jarom took him out to go pick something out for me.  He ended up finding some good "deals" and got me several things--some lotion, makeup (caramel colored foundation and bronze lip gloss), and this prayer candle of Saint Judas.  He said it only cost $1!  I tried so hard not to laugh.  It was the funniest gift and sweetest.

I must not forget that Jarom and I last week celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary.  We both have officially lived with each other than we have our parents.  :)  It's hard to imagine our lives not with each other.  It was a very non-eventful evening and quiet.  The older boys were closing at work that night so they wouldn't be home until after midnight.  The other boys went and stayed the night at Grandma's.  We had the house to ourselves.  No gifts.  We kept it simple.  It was a nice reflection of this year and I've enjoyed the simplicity.  It's been many ups and downs but nothing we can't get through.  It's really been a joy.   Jarom said I was the best Christmas gift he's ever received and I feel the same.

Comments