Child Labor

I've had several people ask me what chores I do with my children, so here it is, the list of torture.
If this is used to file a report against me, go right ahead, the DHS already has a file for me...you might recall "NyQuil."
I will continue to make my children work because I believe it's important.

Rule 1: I don't pay them. They live in the house and are expected to do their share. However, there was the one time when I was too lazy to vacuum downstairs and paid Liam $1.50 to do it for me...that might be child labor.

Rule 2: I'm pretty particular in how things are done, especially laundry. I'm a laundry Nazi. I cried once when Jarom said he did some laundry for me. Should I be embarrassed by that? I'm not. Do I need therapy? Possibly. ANYWAY, to the point. Most women probably do have their picky things when it comes to their home and can understand. Unfortunately, the attitude is usually "I can do it faster." or "I'd rather just do it myself." Both true but what did my boys get from that? Nada. I introduce them to a chore and teach them the way I like it done. I convince them there is no "other way." Now there are four laundry Nazis. Jarom is still not permitted to do the laundry.

Rule 3: I work with them. I rarely leave them on their own to do the task and I have a "double check" policy. I let them do things on their own and then when they are finished we do a double check. This is a "secret" way of making sure something is clean. I have found to just go and do it over later by myself is a little damaging to the ego, but when we double check it together we talk about the things missed, what was wrong or to congratulate them for doing a good job. Tipton is an awesome bathroom cleaner and great working buddy.

Rule 4: I don't do all the chores in one day. One, because some that would be impossible but mainly I just try to keep one "cleaning" chore per day. For my kids, this keeps it from being overbearing. So, each day is designated to a certain cleaning day. Monday-laundry, Tuesday-vacuum/errands, Wednesday-bathrooms (most of the time), Thursday-dusting, Friday-downstairs floors/tidy up.

Rule 5: Don't be afraid or give up. It takes time to teach them some skills. I try to let my kids know that I have confidence in them and believe that they are capable. Yes, I actually let my children hold knives when helping me in the kitchen we've only sliced a few fingers, stir on the stove, use the microwave, clean the toilet, brush their own teeth, etc. Even Hyrum as a 2 year old is very capable of a lot of things around the house and no, I don't let him use the knives or clean the toilet YET.

That pretty much sums up my methods of chores. Each year I have to make a few adjustments with their ages, school, and activities but still no exemptions.

The pictures aren't great but this is our new list for the new year. Each chart done in their favorite color and made so they can understand it (Liam can read, Tipton's learning, Hyrum sticks just to pictures). Some chores don't seem like real chores but if it's part of the routine I put it on their list. It never hurts to have a reminder.

Well, I hope this helps those that were asking what I do for chores. Remember work isn't sooo bad. It gives me a chance to talk to my boys, sing songs with them and learn about them. If you want details....uhm, well, I guess I could do that.

Comments

Katina Angola said…
Awesome ideas... I love it!
Melissa Hodgen said…
Thank you for answering my inquiry. Love the idea of the laminated visuals. Clip art, I'm guessing? Now if I could just figure out if Shannon had a true fear of the vacumn, or just a fear of work.
Laura said…
Melissa, all my kids HATE the vacuum! They all run and hide in another room while I vacuum.I held off until Liam turned 7, then decided he will have to get over it. He cried the first time and it took about an hour before he actually finished the playroom. Now, he realized it wasn't so bad and likes the patterns it makes in the carpet. He finishes in about 10 minutes.
Great idea. I like the cards. I should definitely incorporate this into our routine. I think the women these boys marry will be greatly appreciative for your efforts.
Donna said…
GO LAURA! We just had a lesson in YW about this. I don't believe in paying kids to to chores either! They need to work, becuase they are part of the family. I'm going to link this to my blog later this week. Keep creating laundry nazis their wives will thank you later ;)
noelle said…
if you could just come over and make one of these super cute chore lists for my kids, i feel certain they would whine less.
Teresa Johnson said…
Sweet...thanks for sharing! Now, I need to get on the ball and make some for my kids. Chandler does chores often, but it's just whenever I tell him to do something. I so need to have a routine. Love it!
Mary Ann said…
I really love that you do this and make your children do chores.
I know lots of people think that they can clean the bathroom quicker and better than their kids can, but what does that teach?
I love it.
I started doing something similar and it is interesting how many jobs kids actually enjoy.
Momtothree said…
I've really started cracking down on my kids with chores here lately and its really tough to get the twins to pick up their toys. I've actually moved their arms over each toy to get them to pick up stuff, just to teach them that it's not that hard. I'm trying to be consistent with it and I'm sure it will get better.